Vegetable gardening in containers is a common practice in Asia among gardeners who have limited space. It gives them a chance to benefit from fresh vegetables. All you need is a sunny patio to grow your favorite veggies. When it comes to the most suitable types of vegetables for container gardening, your choice depends on the zone of your location. You can easily purchase seeds online or from your garden center and nursery in your area. Vegetable gardening in Asia is an easy process that can be practiced by anyone who has interests in gardening.
Aside from determining the best types of vegetables to grow, it is also essential to know the basics about planting vegetables in containers.
Container Vegetable Gardening Tips and Ideas for Asians.
Any pot or container will do for your little garden, but it is important that the container is lightweight because you have to move it around. You can add wheels to your container or just place them on a cart with wheels to make the moving easier especially if an unanticipated spring frost is predicted or if severe weather is coming.
When Choosing a Container
Other ideas on choosing the container include:
* First, the container must have holes at the bottom to facilitate proper drainage so as not to drown your plants.
* Second, choose lightly colored containers that absorb sunlight, this will promote healthy roots.
* Third, you must be sure that the size of the container is adequate for the plant that you’re trying to grow. If it doesn’t have enough space, it may have trouble growing.
You can purchase bagged soil at your local nursery. Make sure to go for a lightweight soil mixture that can sustain mature plants and provide nutrients to your vegetables.
Your vegetables require full sunlight (6 or more hours every day). There are some vegetable varieties such as radishes, lettuce, and chard that require less sunlight but it is recommended to put the containers in direct sunlight.
The containers must have holes to let excess water to drain. You can find a lot of lovely resin or plastic planters at you nearest center or nursery that don’t have holes in them. Using a drill, just add 3 or 4 holes at the bottom of the planters. Before putting the soil mixture, it is recommended to add a level of pebbles at the base to help with the drainage.
Expect the fertilizer to be drained quickly every time you water your containers. If you use lighter mixes, you need to fertilize more frequently. It is recommended to employ a thinned liquid fertilizer or liquid seaweed or liquid fish emulsion. However, it is important to note that your plants require different types of nutrients so check the descriptions of the fertilizer to ensure that they have a balanced and complete solution including trace elements.
Temperature is an important part of maintaining a garden. When it starts to get cold outside, the vegetable containers should be brought inside since freezing temperatures can kill them. If the containers are too large to make moving easy, it is possible to use a garden fleece to protect them.
A lot of vegetables require a lot of moisture throughout the whole growing season. Also, if the container plants are placed in exposed areas, they tend to lose moisture rapidly so make sure to water them more often. Plants with thin leaves will require more water
When choosing the types of vegetables to be grown, it is important to consider what your family loves to eat. Also, choose those that can grow suitably in a restricted space. There are a lot of gardeners who benefit from growing tomatoes because home-produced tomatoes taste a lot better than those bought at the supermarket. Dwarf varieties should be preferred since they are more productive than longer ones when grown in containers. Vegetables can grow in containers include tomato, lettuce, peppers, melons, broccoli, spinach, garlic, squash, green onions, kales and.
Grow Plants with less Insect and Diseases
Garlic and tomato are great plants to grow in a container. They have very few pest and disease challenges if any the problems are easy to manage and would not require special care. They also do not have deep roots and occupy very little space.
Other Tips to Container Gardening Are Explained Below.
- Plan when growing the vegetables in a container. Make sure the container is large enough to support the plant at adult stages.
- Practice mulching to reduce water loss through evaporation. This will save on your cost.
- Grow vegetables of native Asian origin that can easily adapt to the conditions.
- Water your vegetables early in the morning just before sunrise and in the evening immediately after sunset. This is to reduce water loss through evaporation.
- Grow short plants on the outside parts of the container and the tall ones on the inner part to ensure that all plants get sunlight.
- Control leeching of nutrients out of the soil by checking the vegetables closely for any deficiency.
- Hanging plants should be put on pulleys for easy watering and to promote their growth. It also appears beautiful.
- When growing Plants in the verandah and you are not sure what color to use in the background, it is advisable to use white because it is eye-catching and goes with everything.
- Spruce shady loving plants on the shady corner of the verandah of your house.
Overall, container vegetables require a bit more attention than the garden variety, but you can grow them on your balcony, patio, verandah or even rooftop! Your small space is not an issue when you use containers to grow your vegetables!
The above-discussed tips and ideas will give you a great guide to start growing your own vegetables. Growing vegetables have got many benefits such as it is easy to manage since you’ll work in a small area. You’ll eat fresh vegetables. It cuts down the cost of buying vegetables in the market. Vegetable flowers add beauty to your home.
Container gardening is a great option for the avid gardener who may not have so much room for a traditional garden. They are an attractive addition to a patio or balcony and are a lot of fun throughout the year.
An Article Written by Carrie J Leonard
More from Lifestyle
In the modern era, tattoos have become one of the most significant fashion trends because they are considered as an …